Saturday 3 March 2007

Fruit Plant Bargains

Thank you to Welsh Girl for the link to Lidl earlier in the week! This morning, I bought 2 blackcurrant bushes, 2 redcurrant bushes, 1 blackberry bush/bramble and a golden delicious apple tree.


I have never grown fruit before (or much of anything come to think of it!) so I'm pretty chuffed with my small collection. What did I pay for this array of fruity treats?....£8.94!! Bobby bargains don't come much bobbier! Just need to wait a couple of years for my first berries....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris. I too am new to both the gardening world and also blogging!! The garden centres at the moment have loads of special offers on - I got a decent sized blackcurrant bush for £2.50. Just be careful with supermarket plants - I planted a few last year and they were a bit pittiful - make sure theres enough manure and things in the soil, and you'll be eating fresh fruit and crem ll summer! keep up the effort - I'm beginning to see its relly worth it once you get going. catx

Melanie Rimmer said...

Lidl rocks. Also Instore, if you have one of those near you.

Anonymous said...

Fruit trees are the best invention ever! Plant em, eat fruit. Why arent all the city streets lined with fruit trees, free fruit for all (I know, Iknow)!

www.sallygardens.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Greetigs from the States:

I planted 3 Blackberries last year and will have my first crop of fresh blackberries in about a month. Can't wait. I planted them to make Blackberry Jam.

By the way, I meant to start this post of with, I really like the lay out of your raised bed garden! Well thought out and lovely design.

Hope you are feeling better after your hospital stay!

David
Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA

Organic City Garden said...

Hi David

Thanks for your comments - my first visitor from across the pond!